Sunday, October 27, 2019

Short Springs SNA








Joan scheduled a hike with Dennis Horn at Short Springs SNA. It was a Sunday afternoon hike to see the fall color and for tree identification. I got there early so I drove to Rutledge Falls which is close by. It is on private property with access by the owners. Beautiful farm, really pretty waterfall just behind their house. A nice statue seems to add peace to the area.



The wildflower book I have is edited by Dennis Horn who is a charter member of the Tennessee native plant society and a member of the Scientific Advisory Committee for Rare Plants in Tennessee. We were chatting in the parking lot, and I showed him my book, he asked where I lived and showed me a rare plant that evidently grows on our mountain top not far from our house. Since it blooms in April and May I will have to wait to investigate.
Dennis pointed out different oaks, maples, magnolias, different leaves, explaining how to id trees without their leaves. Much study is needed. We saw beautiful waterfalls, thankful for the recent rains. Adams Falls had water falling coming from a spring in the side of the ridge. Machine Falls was flowing well and the water is so clear! There were some young guys flying a drone, and one had a remote controlled truck climbing the rocks.  Dennis left us behind at the waterfall and was gone by the time we got back to the parking lot. I should have had him autograph my book.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment