Saturday, January 18, 2020

Big South Fork TTA


Michael Glennon planned a backpack in the Big South Fork. It was a rainy Saturday and the forecast was for below freezing temps for Sunday/Monday. My plan was to exit on Sunday afternoon at the West Entrance where I left my car. We started at Sawmill Trailhead on the Divide Road. Michael, Tom, John, Cynthia and Annie her 4 legged hiking dog, and me. It was raining until we reached camp, so we skipped Slave Falls and the Twin arches, ate our lunch under a pretty rock overhang. Campsite was just before Charit Creek Lodge on an island. Tents were set up on the island and hammocks on the mainland. John had a new hammock set up to test with a strap system I hadn't seen before. "Trial by fire" he called this backpack.
Boy Scout Leaders were able to get a good fire going and we set about drying stuff out.

 John's "trial by fire" hammock system dropped him on the ground during the night. Issue with carabiner latch. Happy Birthday! That will be his story to tell.

Sunday morning daybreak, we get up to 30 degrees and a cool breeze by the water. Didn't take long to get too cold trying to pack up. I tried to get the food bag down and got my rope string hung in the tree limb.  I abandoned that and packing and walked to the Lodge to beg for mercy by the fire. The Lodge keeper was very nice and didn't charge me for unthawing my fingers and toes. Back at camp I managed to yank my rope string hard enough to get it out of the tree. Finished up, and we set out joyfully soaking up the sunshine on the hill side. We discussed info on how to keep gear dry, how to keep feet warm in your sleeping bags, how to hang hammocks, packing, how arches are formed.

Everyone decided to hike out and not stay another night with temps forecast at 12 degrees. So plan B, we went by the Twin Arches, always a treat to see and back to Sawmill Trailhead. At the parking lot we got some snowflakes and a five degree drop in the temperature.

Total of 12.3 miles

Pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment